About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Friday 11 February 2011

Seeds!

All my seeds have arrived now:


Lots of seeds, including a stupidly large quantity of sunflower seeds

This is very exciting, but I still don't know where I'm going to put them all. In my previous veg gardens, I didn't really worry about this. I just started with the first thing - the potatoes can go there - then the next thig - I'll put the beans next to them, there - and so on. Now, though, it all feels a lot more serious. I really want to do this right.

I've read about the importance of crop rotation and of companion planting, which seem to contradict each other. The other day when I was trying to find out how much space sunflowers need, I learnt that they poison the plants next to them. This is not good news as one of the few decisions I'd made was to have the a row of sunflowers next to a row of asparagus, and I really don't want my asparagus poisoned! I feel that the more I study this, the more difficult it gets.

Maybe I'll just go back to the 'stick it anywhere' approach, though I fear I may run out of space if I'm not careful...

In the meantime, I have potatoes chitting:


King Edwards on the left, Desiree on the right, and Foremost new potatoes in the middle at the front. Written down here so that when the labels underneath have mysteriously disappeared and I've forgotten which are which, I'll be able to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)