About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Friday 24 May 2013

Foraged Food Friday: Rosebay willowherb

After several attempts last year, I learnt how to get the best out of rosebay willowherb: When the young plants are shooting up all over the place, as they are at the moment, lose the strong-tasting top section and the woody bottom section, and peel the middle part of the stem.


Preparing rosebay willowherb (Chamerion* angustifolium)

I'm not sure how to describe the flavour, but I quite like it. It's a fiddle to extract the tasty bit, so I wouldn't bother gathering much. I think this is best as a snack when out walking, rather than trying to collect enough for a significant contribution to a meal. I'm glad I found out how to eat it, though.


Also harvesting this week
Oak leaves for wine
Ground elder
Mint
Nettles
Bracken
Dandelion flowers
Vetch
Tulip petals
Wild garlic

Also drinking
Heather ale

Foraged food challenge summary page here.

---
* Also known as Epilobium angustifolium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)