About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Sunday 5 January 2014

2013: A year of foraging and pondering

If you look back over this blog for the last year, it seems to have been a year of foraging and thinking about things. That's probably a pretty accurate reflection; it doesn't feel like it's been a very productive year. That statement betrays my continuing attachment to notions of productivity as an important part of what's valuable or successful, and that statement tells you that I am moving away from that way of thinking.

To start with the lack of productivity: I haven't made and fitted solar panels; I have half-replaced conservatory roofing that needs fixing (again); further projects await the old panels; the house is only partially insulated; its decorative state is much the same as it was a year ago. On the positive side, I've learnt a great deal about wild food, and I've spent a fair bit of time pondering the question of how to live well. I think this has been valuable and I expect to continue in this vein.

For now, I give you some completely unrelated pretty pictures from 2013, some of which have appeared in this blog, but others are new. The people in the bottom photo are my sister and her children.

3 comments:

  1. I've followed your foraging year and think you have done remarkably well, so well done! I'm also impressed by your northern lights, even if they weren't very specacular for you. Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2014. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few more weeks to go of the foraging challenge, so I'll post a review of that when I've finished. I'm glad you've been enjoying it. I was impressed by the northern lights too - I've seen something that many people never see at all. Maybe one day I'll get a better view, or maybe I won't. At least I've seen them now.

      I love all your photos on your blog (can you see where I got the inspiration for this post?) and look forward to seeing more. Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the compliment Rachel! I think quite a few people did 'best of' or summaries of their year as end of year blog posts. Well it helps pad out our blogs in the winter when there isn't always a lot to write about. :-)
      I have been working in the garden ripping out brambles and chopping off annoying saplings which spring up everywhere, but it's hardly something to take photos of or blog about!

      Delete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)