About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Saturday 13 February 2016

Signs of spring

This week, I have been mostly studying Welsh and proofreading, which don't make for the most interesting blog posts. Outdoors, however, it has finally stopped raining and looks almost like spring, which is very exciting. It's also cold enough that I don't mind too much not being able to get out in it. Of course, this year the weather has been so mixed up that early signs of spring are more a cause for concern than celebration, but these are not daffodils flowering in January...


I might have had snowdrop flowers if the slugs hadn't chewed them off.


The willow I planted last year has pussy willows! When I was five, I put one of these up my nose. A bigger kid told me to.


Pebble's elder tree has leaves coming out.


What really tells us that winter is over, though, is the first train of the year!


George came to watch the second one.


Not a sign of spring, but the moon was rather beautiful this evening.

4 comments:

  1. We're having beautiful weather here. Temps warm enough to have the windows open. The bulbs are starting to send up shoots - I fear they're gonna be in for a rude awakening when winter returns in a week or so. I'm trying to soak it all in before the cold and snow comes back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your weather is just crazy! I'm not sure if wild swings between warm and cold would make winter more bearable, or would just leave me feeling confused.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful train, do they go past regularly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, isn't it? I'm not sure that 'regularly' is quite the word for it. When they're running, they go twice a day in each direction, but they don't run every day (this week, then weekends until the Easter break, I think, then probably every day until autumn) and then some days there are four trains, or even five, and then there are those Sunday lunch trips in the autumn, with just one train each way but more time between them... We just about get used to one timetable, then it changes and throws us completely!

      Delete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)