About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Wood store

Our heating project included grand plans for a woodstore. With a south-facing gable end, that was the obvious place to put the solar panels, but not flat to the wall. They'll be more efficient if they're propped out from the wall on a porch roof type arrangement (I've since discovered that this is quite normal, and known as an A frame). If we're having a porch roof against that wall, what better place to store wood than underneath it? Therefore, we'd build a nice, strong, well-supported roof and store wood underneath it.

The trouble with this plan is that it's quite a big project, and I'm not really sure how to do it. In the meantime, we need somewhere to store wood. Focus has wood stores on sale for £70, which is probably as much as we'd spend on wood and bits if we started from scratch. We gave in and bought it. I should say I gave in. I'm not sure Ian was that keen on the Grand Project in the first place - it was him who suggested the Focus one.
Woodstore, not actually big enough to take a full load of wood

We did have to screw the thing together, so there was some satisfaction from building something, and now we actually have somewhere to keep the wood, not just plans for something bigger and better that might get built one day, maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)