About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
In autumn 2010, my husband Ian and I both quit our jobs, sold our house and left the flatlands of the east for the mountains of Wales. Our goal is to create a more self-sufficient lifestyle in a place we actually like living. Whilst Ian will continue to earn some money as a freelancer, my part of the project is to reduce how much we spend by growing and making as much of what we need as possible. The purpose of this blog is to keep friends updated with how the grand project is progressing, but all are welcome here. If you're not a friend already, well perhaps you might become one.

Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Hat rack

Since we remodelled the airing cupboard to take the thermal store for the new heating system, we've been using the old pipes as a hat rack.


Old heating pipes bent into hooks for hats

This was kind of OK, but they didn't fit very well and I usually knocked at least one off when I was trying to take another out of the cupboard. When I went to help Dad with his house in Cornwall, I scrounged the coat pegs from his house. Over the last few days I've given them a couple of coats of paint, and this morning I hung them on the wall, then added hats.


New coat hat rack

They're not ideal - it would be better if the pegs were further apart - but they're a lot better than what we had before. I decided it really wasn't worth the effort of cutting them up and fixing each part separately, so this is what we've got. I'm starting January as I mean to go on, getting small jobs ticked off the list.

2 comments:

  1. That looked like a good way to reuse old pipes. You do have a lot of non-foldable hats between you. Most of ours are folded up in drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Karin, I must admit I was quite pleased with the pipes, seeing as they were there in the back of the cupboard already, but now the hats no longer live there, I have space (in theory) to put a shelf back in the top of the cupboard, which would be a good place to keep towels.

      Delete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)