About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Thursday 24 January 2013

The gardening year starts here

After giving up on the garden last year, I'm feeling considerably out of touch with it, so need to ease myself back in gently. I've made a start by buying seed potatoes and putting them to chit.


Seed potatoes, various.

This wasn't a very well thought-out selection as I just popped into the shop to see whether they had any in yet, and they did, so I bought some. There are 30 Desiree, which we've grown before and like, though they may not be very exciting. I got a few King Edwards, which we don't like so much, but they did give a very good yield when I grew them a few years ago. Then there are even fewer Charlotte salad potatoes, which I like but Ian doesn't, and a couple of different varieties of first earlies, neither of whose names I recognised. I've put the labels under the trays so I know which is which, but how I'm going to keep track of the different varieties once they're in the ground, I don't know.

The next garden job is sowing the allium seeds that I should have sowed at the end of December. They might catch up, you never know. I could do with clearing some brambles, too, but perhaps not right now.

Snowy garden

2 comments:

  1. I need to finish digging over my garden...but maybe when it thaws...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's seventy degrees today. I feel like I should be out planting and turning soil, although I might just go for a long bike ride.

    Actually, what I probably should do is haul the hose out and water the garden so I don't lose all the bulbs in the flowerbed again due to lack of water. It's rather incredible... here we are in late January and forest fires are a major threat. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)