About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Friday 19 July 2013

Foraged Food Friday: Wild strawberries

It feels like cheating to feature strawberries picked in my garden, but most of the other plants I've foraged are growing in my garden, and these are definitely the wild variety, so here they are - wild strawberries.


Wild strawberries (Fragaria vesca)

What can I say about wild strawberries? Tiny fruit, divine flavour - a little taste of heaven.


Also harvesting this week:
Fat hen
Potatoes - Charlotte, Vale Emerald, and one Desiree plant that was growing in the compost heap.
Mint
Cultivated strawberries
The occasional raspberry
Cherries - just three so far, but so exciting! Of the six fruit trees I planted in spring 2011, this is the first to produce any fruit.

Also eating:
Crab apple and rosemary jelly
Blackcurrant sorbet
Damson and mascarpone ice cream

Also drinking:
Elderflower champagne
Bay herb ale
Heather ale

Foraged food challenge summary page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)