About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Thursday 28 January 2016

A walk in the woods

The sun was shining this morning, so I abandoned the housework, ignored Ian's sensible advice to get some firewood in before the forecast rain this afternoon, and drove out to some nearby woodlands. These are mostly coniferous plantations, but there's an area of beech trees where I've found oyster mushrooms before, and I was hoping I might find some today.

As well as recent logging, some trees have blown down at the road edge of the woodland. Not all of them actually fell over.

The ones that were down have been tidied up, and I see that they've cut one of the stumps into a seat.

The view from this seat isn't great at the moment, but I'm sure it will be in time.

Walking through the conifers, I catch my first glimpse of the beech trees.

Now to start looking for oyster mushrooms, and any others I can identify. These might have been oysters once, but I don't fancy them now.

These are not oysters...

... which is fine, because they're all the way up there.

This is more like it!

They're not in the first flush of youth, and are a little nibbled round the edges, but they'll do nicely.

After this, my finds were of photogenic, rather than of culinary value, and no, I don't know what most of them are.

6 comments:

  1. One of my most favourite places to be is in the woods, especially when there's fungi everywhere making it even more interesting.
    Lovely pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I was going to send you a message about seeds, but couldn't find an email address. Could you drop me a line? The address is in my profile. Cheers :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos- especially the last one. I love woods, and beech trees are my favourite.
    With all the greens of the moss, it almost looks bright enough to be Spring... (Actually, the cherry tree in our garden thinks it is spring as it is in blossom...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I love beech trees, too.
      The weather's just bonkers this year, isn't it? Having not had much of a winter, I do hope we get a proper spring!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Nicola, that last photo is a real work of art - just beautiful! And I really admire your bravery to gather mushrooms. I'd be terrified of poisoning myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you :-) With mushrooms, it's all a matter of learning how to look at them.

      Delete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)