About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Saturday 9 January 2016

Rediscovering the garden path

Thanks to months of neglect, the path from our front door towards the road has become very overgrown. This is only a problem because that makes it slippery. Other paths, the ones I made myself, have completely disappeared, but I'm ignoring those for the time being because walking on them isn't essential. The main path needs attention.

The attention I'm giving it involves digging up the top layer of path and separating the plants from the stones, the first going in a bucket and then the compost heap and the second going back on the path. Ideally, soil, worms and other living things also go in the bucket, but that isn't so easy to achieve. It's slow, fiddly work and I won't even try to do any when it's actually raining, so it's done in short bursts, a bucketful or two at a time, in the gaps between the rain.

The trick, I find, is not to think about how much is still left to do, but to focus on the improvement I've made. To start with that was, When I put my foot just there I won't slip. I didn't take a picture at that time, it would have been too disheartening. I did take a picture a couple of days ago:

Even though I'm trying not to think about the size of the job as a whole, it does feel better to have got over halfway along (ignoring the other areas of path and driveway that could do with the same treatment).

I'll just keep at it until either I finish the path or some other task is a more pressing use of not-raining daylight hours.

3 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous! And I think you're onto something by not focusing on how much is still left to do. When I look at the totality of some of the tasks that need to be tackled around here, I just feel so overwhelmed that I don't even want to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Although it sounds like a long and tedious task, at least you can really see the difference in areas that you have worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement, both of you, it's much appreciated! The next post is especially for you two.

    ReplyDelete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)