About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
In autumn 2010, my husband Ian and I both quit our jobs, sold our house and left the flatlands of the east for the mountains of Wales. Our goal is to create a more self-sufficient lifestyle in a place we actually like living. Whilst Ian will continue to earn some money as a freelancer, my part of the project is to reduce how much we spend by growing and making as much of what we need as possible. The purpose of this blog is to keep friends updated with how the grand project is progressing, but all are welcome here. If you're not a friend already, well perhaps you might become one.

Monday, 15 August 2011

Potato yield

This is just a quick update on this morning's post about potatoes. I've now dried (more or less) and weighed all the spuds, so I can report the yields:

Foremost first earlies: 29 lb 7 oz (I found a few more this morning)
King Edwards maincrop : 51 lb 9 oz
Desiree maincrop : 41 lb 1 oz

Total : 122 lb 1 oz

If we eat potatoes twice a week and use one pound per meal (which I do), then a year's supply would be 104 lb, and we've comfortably exceeded this. If I get the storage right and the blight doesn't ruin the lot, then I've successfully grown an entire year's worth of spuds, which makes me very happy :-)


Sacks of spuds destined for the store room. Those that were dug too soon, or that I stuck the fork through (rather a lot of the Desiree) are in the kitchen, for using soon or turning into frozen chips.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of potatoes - I think our total yield will only be about 20lbs this year - 120lbs is a massive amount! Will you keep any for seed potatoes for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning to keep some for seed, but since I got blight I'm not so sure. I don't know whether I should switch to blight-resistant varieties. I'll be planting in a different bed as part of crop rotation and I suspect the new bed will be less prone to blight (more air movement) - the scientist in me would like to know whether it's actually better, which I won't be able to tell if I change varieties.

    If this lot store OK, then I've got a good harvest in spite of the blight, so maybe it's not such a big problem if I get it again. On the other hand, if they don't, I'll have nothing but a stinking rotten mess by Christmas and will definitely want to try a different variety next year! I think what this comes down to is: If the spuds store well, I'll stick some of them in the ground next year. If they don't I'll buy new seeds of different varieties. I'll buy a few new anyway, just to be a bit more adventurous than sticking to the well-known kinds I grew this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's quite a haul! To tell the truth I've never had good luck storing potatoes. They always seem to sprout on me no matter what I do. Maybe you'll have a better technique than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fantastic - well done Rachel and how exciting! I'm growing maincrops for the first time this year - Kind Edwards, and we've had loads of amazing second earlies which have been divine - no storing those beauties; they get eaten as soon as I dig them up ;) Good luck with the storage; have you heard of clamping? Seems like a great idea if you have the space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no special techniques, EcoCatLady, apart from checking them frequently to remove any that have gone rotten. I have heard of Clamping, Mrs Green, and in theory I have space. Unfortunately that space is currently full of a lot of other stuff at the moment. Also, the frequent checking would be more trouble if they're all packed down in the clamp. I'll see how I get on with sacks this year and maybe clamp next year.

    Those that sprout will be brought out into the daylight for a bit before going back in the ground ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with EcoCatLady--my spuds always sprout. Super irritating.

    On another note, I would really like to make pillows out of those awesome burlap sacks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of those 'divided by a common language' moments. I have to remind myself that when you say 'pillow' we'd say 'cushion'. We reserve 'pillow' for the ones you lay your head on at night, and I wouldn't fancy one of those made out of sack cloth!

    ReplyDelete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)