About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Monday 26 September 2016

That time of year again

Every year I get seasonal depression around the time of the equinox and every year it takes me by surprise. Every flipping year. At least I'm getting better at recognising it when it does hit, though. I also think that preserving food does help.

Yesterday was a bad day, in a big weepy meltdown sort of way. Today I feel better and I made sauerkraut, or at least started it.


Sauerkraut. Also little cucumbers, just because I saw a packet for sale in Lidl, and people had been talking about fermenting them in an online group.

It would be nice if the cabbage was home-grown, but even so, this is traditional preservation of seasonal veg, and it feels like the right thing to be doing at this time of year.

3 comments:

  1. I had to put extra covers on the bed and plug in Jasper's heating pad since it's starting to get down near freezing at night. Sigh. Thank God fall is football season here in the states, sometimes I think it's the only thing that keeps me from slipping into a deep depression this time of year! Maybe you could become the one and only Broncos fan in Wales? We're 3 and 0! Woo Hoo!!! :-)

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely preserving food helps - it's instinctive. Hope you feel happier soon - sorry if this sounds trite but I suffer in the same way and find having lit candles all about the house from the moment I get in from work, helps massively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get hit by the depression as well. Some years are better than others. It seems I am getting wiser in my old age as I have been on citalopram for two weeks now and I am starting to have glimpses of normality again. Usually I don't go to the doctors until I am drowning and ready to end it all. Candles and classical music also work for me. I don't know why but they do. Oh and crafts, lots and lots of crafting.

    ReplyDelete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)